UPDATE: Man Identified in Fatal Officer-Involved Shooting in Newton

911 Call, Radio Transmission Released

NEWTON – Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan has confirmed the identity of the man shot by police in Newton yesterday as Michael Conlon, 28, of Newton. 

On January 5, 2021 at approximately 1:43 p.m., Newton Police received the following 911 call from the owner of “Indulge!”, a candy store, reporting a man with a knife. The call can be heard here.

Police were dispatched to the location. The radio transmission can be heard here

Two Newton Police Officers, one in plainclothes and one uniformed, arrived first on scene and located the 28-year-old male, who lived on the second floor of the building, holding a knife in the second floor hallway of the building.

Upon arrival police called for additional police officers and a negotiator. A clinician with mental health expertise arrived on scene before the shooting but did not enter the building due to safety concerns since the man was armed with a knife.

Additional Newton Police officers arrived on scene as well as two Massachusetts State Police troopers.

Mr. Conlon allegedly fled to the third floor, followed by police.  There are two apartments on the third floor. A woman who resides on that floor of the building fled her apartment, allowing officers to enter her home creating distance from Mr. Conlon, who was in the  hallway. Officers on scene spoke with Mr. Conlon, responding to his requests, offering to contact his family and requesting that he drop the knife. Mr. Conlon became confrontational with police, arming himself with a metal fire extinguisher in addition to the knife.

The preliminary investigation suggests that after Mr. Conlon refused to comply with verbal commands to drop the knife, Newton Police attempted to deploy less than lethal force.  A Massachusetts State Police Trooper also deployed a Taser that failed to subdue him.  Mr. Conlon allegedly advanced on officers while still holding the knife in a threatening manner. Two Newton Police officers fired their service weapons striking the man. Based on radio transmissions from Newton Police, the shots were fired at approximately 2:11 p.m.

The man was transported to Newton Wellesley Hospital  where he was later pronounced dead.

Newton Police Officers involved in the altercation have been placed on temporary paid administrative leave.

This remains an active and ongoing investigation.  The cause and manner of death are pending a ruling by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Yesterday’s press release on this matter can be viewed here.